Andrew Rook, Director of J.C.Rook & Sons Limited has just earned the Meat Training Council, Master Butcher Accreditation.
This is the First in Kent and only the ninth Nationally.
The qualification is intended to reflect the Ethos of the Master Butcher tradition which has formed the foundation of the craft throughout its celebrated history.
A Master is somebody who Employs others, leads and is highly skilled in a trade. A Butcher is one whose business is to select, slaughter and prepare animals for food use.
So, a Master Butcher requires high skills in;
- Purchasing food animals from the farm
- Understanding and overseeing slaughter process
- Setting up supply chain of carcase meats
- Manufacturing Meat products
- Managing the Commercial aspects of a Butchery Business
- Managing People
To add to the above the Accreditation also asks for;
- Food Hygiene and Safety knowledge and its application
- Traceability of meats from farm to customer.
- Integrity and Attitude
Andrew is delighted with this award, “maintaining the drive and ambition to do our work in the proper way is paramount to our moral and ethical position, to supply our local communities with good quality food sourced and prepared to the highest standards”
Andrew was presented with the award at the Institute of Meat’s Butchers Hall in the City of London by H.R.H. Princess Royal.