Cooking your Christmas Turkey – Our guide to cooking a sublime Christmas turkey in just a few easy steps.
For some of us Christmas can range from the most stressful time of year to the cheeriest. To help ease the pressure we have explored our cookbooks to bring you, what we think is an award winning Christmas turkey recipe.
- 5kg Rooks turkey
- Olive oil
- Ground black pepper
- 1 halved Clementine
- 3-4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 onions , roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks , roughly chopped
- 2 carrots , roughly chopped
- Allocate 35-40 min per kilogram.
- Cooking temperature:
180°C/ 350°F/ Gas Mark 4.
- Check your turkey every 20 min.
- Avoid dryness by pouring juices from the pan over your turkey, each time you check it .
Preparing Your Turkey
- Make sure your turkey is at room temperature before roasting – taking it out of the fridge an hour prior to cooking is ideal.
- Rinse and dab dry with kitchen paper.
- Drizzle the turkey with the olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste and rub all other seasoning into your bird.
- At this point, pre-heat your oven and start the stuffing process.
- Pull the skin of the turkey at the neck-end, push in half of the stuffing. Avoiding packing it too tightly, as this will slow the cooking process.
Pull and fold the skin over the opening, tuck it under the turkey, so it looks presentable.
- Add a few pieces of stuffing into the larger cavity, with clementine segments and some sprigs of rosemary
- Place your chopped veg into a roasting pan and place the bird directly on top.
- Cover all with foil, turn down the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 and place the turkey into the oven.
- How to know when its cooked – Cut the fattiest part of the thigh with a sharp knife; If the juices run clear and the meat pulls apart easily, it’s done.
- If is not ready, give your turkey another 20 minutes.
- Before serving, let it rest for 1-2 hours.