Braised Venison & Bacon Pudding
By Matt Sworder
300 mins Easy
The Venison and Bacon pudding is a top seller at The Corner House with lots of customers coming back again and again for it. It’s a simple recipe that just requires a little time but most of the time it is steaming away so you can relax and make a cup of tea!
Makes 4 puddings and requires 4 x ½ litre pudding moulds
1. Firstly make the pastry, mix the flour, suet and salt together and add the water a little at a time until a dough forms. Do not overwork the dough. Rest in the fridge while you make the mix.
2. For the mix, sear off the venison in a little vegetable oil until the meat is dark brown in colour, then put aside and put the onions, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, thyme and bayleafs in the pot and cook until golden in colour.
3. Once golden, add the wine and venison and simmer for 1.5 hours until the venison is tender.
4. In a separate frying pan fry the bacon so they are golden in colour and crunchy lardons and add to the venison mix.
5. When the venison is tender check the seasoning with salt and pepper and finish by adding the parsley. That’s the mix done.
6. Next, With a pastry brush butter the ½ litre pudding moulds, this will insure a clean finish to the outside of the puddings.
7. Weigh out 130g of pastry for each of the moulds and roll into a circle 0.65cm thick, and roll and stamp out the lids of the same thickness using a pastry cutter.
8. Line the moulds with the discs of pastry, gently working it in with your fingers avoiding creases and ensuring there are no holes.
9. Fill up each mould with the mix 1cm below the rim of the moulds. Brush the lip of each pie with the egg wash and place the lids on each pie.
10. Steam for 2 hours and serve immediately or cool them and heat them up in a microwave for 6 minutes on a medium heat until they are hot in the middle. Put a little water over the suet if you are using a microwave to re-heat.
11. Simply serve with savoy cabbage and beef Jus.
12. Alternatively, I will cook one for you at The Corner House. To book a table please visit www.thecornerhouseminster.co.uk